Meet Our Staff
Scott T. Bixler, President
Scott T. Bixler is the current President of The Bixler Group, LLC. He and his twin brother, Timothy, current make up the fifth generation of our family-owned and operated business. Born in Kearny but raised in Upstate New York, Scott earned a Bachelors Degree in Sociology from St. Lawrence University in 2002. Following graduation, he decided to join his Great Uncle Ed as partners in the family company.
In 2006, Scott earned his broker’s license and followed that by completing broker of record training in 2007. When he returned to Kearny, Scott also wanted to be an active member of the community. He is a member of the local Optimist International Chapter, a service organization where he’s served as both vice president and president.
Timothy E. Bixler, Vice President
Timothy E. Bixler serves as the Vice President of The Bixler Group, LLC. After graduating from St. Lawrence University in 2002 with a degree in Sociology, Tim joined his twin brother in joining the family business. Upon his return, Tim obtained a license in real estate and insurance. He is currently the President of our sister company, Bixler-McKeown Agency, Inc., which is a full-service independent insurance agency. Tim met his wife, Charissa, while attending St. Lawrence University. She is a special education teacher in Lodi’s Thomas Jefferson Middle School.
Tim’s goal is to help clients navigate their way through what can be a confusing real estate or insurance process. Paying attention to your needs and wants allows him to properly assist you with a couple of the biggest decisions you will make.
Edward C. Bixler, Agent
Edward C. Bixler joined the agency in 1956 after graduating from Colgate University and completing his Air Force tour of duty as a 2nd Lieutenant. He’s achieved GRI, CRS, and CRB designations in real estate and has been appointed President of the Arlington Kearny Board of Realtors seven times. Edward served as the President of the NJAR Educational Foundation in 1976 and Vice President of NJAR in 1986 and 1987.
A real estate teacher at Kearny Adult School for six years, he was President of the West Hudson Kiwanis Club in 1967, served as the Kiwanis Key Club advisor at Kearny High School from 1969 to 1974 and has been a Key Club Chairman for all of Hudson County.
Edward participates in the Optimist Club of Kearny and takes an active role at the First Presbyterian Church of Arlington, serving as an elder-trustee and as the longest tenured member of their choir. He and his wife Peg, recently celebrated 50 years of marriage.
Edward A. Strong, Founder
Our founder Edward A. Strong was born in New York City. He worked in a printing house until 1882, when at the age of 20, he made the move to Kearny. In 1891, Mr. Strong opened a real estate and insurance business known today as The Bixler Group, LLC. During his time in Kearny, Mr. Strong served as a volunteer fireman, was a charter member of the Kearny Elks Lodge, helped organize the Arlington Country Club and was President of the Arlington Choral Society.
Mr. Strong was also a founder of the First Presbyterian Church of Arlington and served as Director and Vice President of the First National Bank and Trust Company in Kearny for over 25 years. He was an officer and director at the Kearny Federal Savings and Loan Association for over 50 years, the Public Library Secretary for 16 years and Treasurer of the West Hudson Hospital for 20 years.
Mr. Strong was a charter member of the Arlington-Kearny Board of Realtors for 55 years and was instrumental in developing the Fairlawn Manor section of Kearny.
Edgar Henry “E. H.” Bixler, 2nd Generation
Edgar Henry Bixler was born in Hanover, PA and married Mildred Strong, daughter of Founder Edward Strong. Edgar decided to join the family business in 1924. In 1953, he became the 701st member of the American Institute of Real Estate Appraiser and President of the New Jersey Chapter. He was instrumental in securing the position of contract sales and management broker for the Home Owners Loan Corporation (HOLC) in West Hudson and Bergen counties in 1937. Additionally, he successfully administered the rehabilitation, rental and sale of over 600 properties for the Federal Government over the course of nine years.
Edgar served as President of the Arlington Kearny Board of Realtors and Vice President of the New Jersey Association of Real Estate Boards in 1930, 1937 and 1958. He also taught appraising at Fairleigh Dickinson University from 1951 to 1955 and was a charter member of the West Hudson Kiwanis Club.
Thomas S. Bixler Sr., 3rd Generation
Thomas Sinclair Bixler joined The Bixler Group in 1947. A former Navy Ensign and graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute, he managed our office operations for nine years. In 1964, he served as President of the Arlington Kearny Board of Realtors and was chairman of the thirty-nine Real Estate Board Presidents. The following year, he became President of the Kearny Optimistic Club.
Following in his father Edgar’s footsteps, Thomas also become an appraiser. He taught the subject at Fairleigh Dickinson for two years and at Upsala for six. He currently resides in Venice, FL.
Thomas S. Bixler Jr., 4th Generation
Thomas S. Bixler was a part of the family business from 1974 to 1984 and is the father of current owners, Tim and Scott Bixler. He is a graduate of St. Lawrence University, which is also where he met his wife, Judy. During his 10-year tenure, Tom Jr. was an integral part of the success and foundation of the company. He and his uncle, Edgar, purchased the building at 758 Kearny Ave in 1978, and the office has been at this location ever since.
Tom quickly became a star in the real estate business and was the first President of the New Jersey Chapter of Certified Residential Specialists (CRS). He served as numerous chairs of the Arlington Kearny Board of Realtors and was a member of Optimist Club of Kearny.
In 1984, Tom moved his family to Upstate New York to own and operate a car dealership, which he did so successfully for 20 years until an opportunity arose to pursue his true passion of being a ferry boat captain. Tom and Judy are the proud proprietors of the oldest privately-owned ferry in the country, The Oxford-Bellevue Ferry, located on the eastern shore of Maryland.
5 Generations of Professionals
To learn more about our experienced staff or services, call us today at (201) 991-0032.